Monday, October 20, 2008

The port needle

Finally- I brought my camera to chemo so I can have PHOTOGRAPHIC evidence of how freakin' HUGE the port needle is. I refer to it as the claw. My chemo nurses (Chris is holding the needle which still has the plastic sheath on and Trish is smocking up) thought it was funny that no one believed how big the needle is. So HERE!





You can also see my protruding port. Now would be one of those times I wish that I wasn't so petite. So when I get my chemo my nurse sprays the skin with a freeze spray to numb me before the massive, horrid claw needle is shoved in. Then they pump the iv to get a blood return (to make sure the port catheter is still connected in my vein... I am always concerned that I'll become unplugged even though it's pretty much impossible) and flush me with saline before the anti-nausea meds and chemo drugs are pushed.

So chemo # 3 today was good. Nice and quiet, Ernie (another patient) brought in those scrumptious gourmet cupcakes (red velvet). Yum! I watched Season 1, Disc 1 of Arrested Development (the best TV show ever). I got out in a little over 2 hours, and picked up Sonic on the way home for me, Lilly and Uncle Andy. Back tomorrow for the Neulasta!

On the side- thank you (whoever) for prescription insurance. Right now I have about 10 prescriptions (not including what I get at my Dr's office). One of them is Emend...my co-pay for that drug is $25 and the retail price is $398...for 4 pills! The Neulasta is $1000 per injection.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

KC-

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. I have subscribed to your blog in my reader and look for updates every day! You have such an amazing attitude and spirit. I am praying for you!