Sunday, August 8, 2010
Tutorial - Using Applique to Embellish Clothing
Why are BRAND NEW CLOTHES such a MAGNET for spots and stains? It drives me crazy, but by using a simple applique, you can not only cover those stains, but personalize any article of clothing....AND it's easy! Today I am going to show you (in 2 parts) how to use applique to embellish really anything (stained or not!).
Clothing (shirt, dress, bag, etc)
Steam a Seam 2 (or other applique adhesive, found at fabric shops)
*Extras-hand sew on buttons or ribbon trims, use decorative stitches with a sewing machine!
1. Cut out rough shape for fabric applique
2. Peel off 1 paper backer of Steam a Seam and press fabric onto adhesive
3. Cut out desired shape (can also use a die cutter machine!)
4. Peel off 2nd paper backer and position applique onto clothing
5. Use hot iron and press for 10-15 seconds (check instructions for exact timing)
Use zig zag stitch and machine sew along edges of applique
Hand sew on buttons or ribbon bow trims.
Part 1 Video shows basic applique:
Part 2 Video shows optional embellishments (machine sewing and button details):