I came across this pattern from Lil Blue Boo few weeks ago and it jostled something within me. Unfortunately I did not bookmark the page and yesterday when the inspiration hit an all time high, I could not for the life of me remember where I saw the pattern. So I scoured through my internet browser history... to not avail. So then I started google-ing crazy search terms...until I found it. And when I found it- I bought it. (and it's only $12 what a steal!!!) And after I bought it, I immediately printed it.
Okay- so back in the day - September 1992, I saw the most amazing concert of my entire life. U2 Zoo TV. It was at Busch Stadium in St. Louis and I was a Freshman in High School. So being a young, hip "alternative" type teenager I bought my concert tee and wore it dotingly for years. And then I went away to college and packed it away, saving it for another time. And I saved it - for 19 years. (!!!) I had been thinking about what to do with these few bits and pieces of my younger years, and when I saw this pattern from Lil Blue Boo, I KNEW this is why I had been saving this shirt for all those years.
On to the pattern.... this pattern is 1. EASY , 2. VERSATILE, 3. AWESOME! All of the directions are very clear and explained in a practical way so anyone with basic sewing skills can follow. The pattern templates are fabulous- with numbered dots to align the 8.5" x 11" printed pages to create the 3 larger pattern pieces for the tunic pattern. The sizing is very accurate, and allows for endless modifications.
I decided to go with a size medium pattern- which is for chest measurements up to 36". Its a perfect fit- snug but not tight. I may add about 1" another time to try a more roomy/"flowy" top. I decided on some coordinating tshirts from our pile of "clothes to donate", including a Tommy Bahama shirt that was my husbands. I will say this- the mens shirts worked well for the larger "bottom pieces", because I could use 1 entire piece. Once I had all the pieces cut out, it was a simple feed through my 4-thread serger. The only issue I had was the material I used for the neck and arm trim. I was SUPPOSED to use something with stretch, but I REALLY wanted to use the burnt orange color from the tee I used on the bottom back. It was just a regular cotton jersey - no stretch. So I had to MacGuyver the neck trim by ruching into a v-neck...which came out PERFECT in the end! I shortened the tank by a few inches and serged along the bottom hem.
I CAN NOT WAIT to try out some other variations. I think using some lighter weight / stretch jersey will be a better material to work with (duh- like the pattern says), but in the end there is NOTHING I would change about my re-do U2 tee. Thank you, thank you, thank you - Lil Blue Boo!!!