Saturday, September 27, 2008

The first cold

Chemo and colds don't mix. I woke up yesterday with a stuffy/snotty/mucusy nose (which has since turned into a cough with phlegm). The big risk during chemo is obviously infection, so I called my Oncologist. They tell me that I need to monitor my temperature. So- what kind of medication can I take for this? Saline nasal spray and Mucinex (or Robitussin). Huh? That will do me no good! Mike took me to Wal-Mart where I tracked down the Mucinex. I was so excited for relief- but when I got home and opened the bottle...that was a whole other story. The pills were SO BIG there was no way anyone with a mucusy and sore throat could possibly swallow one. Seriously- they are as big as the tip of my pinky finger. I have MAJOR pill/gagging issues too. So no relief...we'll go to Target this afternoon and see what else is out there.

Update- Went to CVS and got Tylenol Sinus (from the Pharmacist). Seems to be doing something since my head no longer feels like it is going to burst off my neck. The big problem I now have with OTC meds is I have the Mediport which is flushed with Heparin to prevent blood clots. Most drugs that work for me are NSAID, which thins yor blood. Curse you chemo!!!!!

2 comments:

Caits said...

Yuck, as if you're not dealing with enough...I hope your cold goes away SOON!

graymama said...

I am glad that you found something to give you some relief, even if it is just a little :-) Sending you healing thoughts <3