Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chemo #4

WE'VE REACHED THE 1/2 WAY MARK!

I am done with the Adriamycin and Cytoxin cocktail. Next up is 4 cycles of Taxol. The Taxol is a 4 hour infusion administered every 2 weeks. UGGH! FOUR HOURS!!!!

With the Taxol, there are new potential side effects such a periphial neuropathy , which is tingling or loss of sensation in fingers, hands, feet and toes. Also- fatigue and "leg heaviness", minor nausea (which I've had none so I don't expect it with this). The biggest concern is when the drug is initially introduced. A small percentage of patients have a major allergic reaction, not to the drug, but to the preservatives used in the drug. It basically happens immediately so my doctors and nurses will be standing over me monitoring the IV push. The reaction can range from a flush/burning feeling, hives, itching and immediate nausea. Hopefully none of that will happen, but they asked for someone to come with me to chemo in case they have to medicate me more to treat the side effects. If that happens I won't be able to drive home. So I think Mike is taking off work, and between him and my brother someone will watch Lilly and someone will watch me. :)

Other than that, I am feeling pretty good. I fell asleep at 7:30pm last night and woke up around 5am. I decided to watch tv in bed and try not to disturb Mike. I got out and voted this morning and luckily only had to wait about 5 minutes. I am SO RELIEVED for the political solicitors to STOP CALLING!!! It's awful, especially since I am registered independent...they all wanted me. Hey- one just called...AHHH- TOO LATE MCCAIN!

Mom-Mom and G-Daddy are flying in Thursday to help out and spend some time here. I can't wait! I'll be sleeping all weekend, but Lilly will have a blast.

2 comments:

Caits said...

Yayyy! Halfway! Hopefully everything will continue to be so smooth!

I get annoyed with all the paper propaganda. I mean, whatever happened to being green???

Shannon said...

KC - Halfway is a HUGE milestone!!! You are so inspirational. Way to go!